Banana bread is a classic – and we love adding new twists to classics. This bread comes out moist, dense, just sweet enough and will fill your kitchen with the delicious aroma of fragrant bergamot and banana. This may be better for breakfast than a midnight snack, since there’s caffeine kicking around in there… unless you want to be wide awake until 3 am…
Makes 1 loaf.
2 cups whole grain spelt flour (wheat works too)
1/2 cup cane sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup hemp hearts
1/3 cup coconut oil or butter
1 tbsp loose Earl Grey tea
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups mashed banana
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Heat coconut oil or butter with tea just until melted. Set aside and allow to cool 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, yogurt, vanilla and banana. Stir in cooled oil/butter with tea leaves. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry; be sure not to over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Use really ripe bananas in banana bread for optimal sweetness and flavour.