Discover Cortes: Nature Adventures (July)
With Bill Ophoff
July 9 - 14, 2023
The natural world is your classroom as you hike, kayak, and sail amid the wild beauty of Cortes Island. Discover the flora and fauna of both land and sea along with local history and geological phenomena as you adventure forth with Hollyhock’s knowledgeable, fun-loving naturalist. Explore ancient forests, sandy beaches, colourful tide pools, windswept bluffs, and a mysterious bog. Our lush temperate rain forest is home to a variety of wildlife including deer, raven, and eagles.
Discover the magic of this island jewel as you:
- Board 43-foot schooner Misty Isles for a half-day sail. Watch for orcas, humpback whales, seals, sea lions, porpoises, and dolphins while learning about the area’s history. Land on awe-inspiring Mitlenatch Island, home of the largest seabird colony in the Salish Sea and known by naturalists as “the Galapagos of the Georgia Strait.” Follow trails through the early-summer wildflowers to the wildlife blinds, an opportunity to watch the nesting birds up close.
- Kayak into the sunset with bald eagles and seals or paddle under the stars amidst the ‘fairydust’ of bioluminescence.
- Join in Hollyhock’s famous oyster barbecue on the beach.
We welcome a variety of fitness levels and experience. You can expect easy to moderate hiking terrain, kayaking, and walking on uneven, rocky shorelines.
Only 12 spots available in this program. Book now to secure your space!
Bill has exceptional knowledge and I would love to take the class again sometime in the future. He managed to relay the information in a way to help us start looking at the natural world with a more open mind and use our observation skills to take in all the diversity in the forest, on the rocks and in the water. – Past participant, 2019
- Discover Cortes: Nature Adventures (June) – June 11 – 16, 2023
- Discover Cortes: Nature Adventures (August) – August 6 – 11, 2023
A detailed schedule will be available 1-2 weeks in advance of the program. View sample schedule here.
Terms & Conditions
You may find our terms & conditions here.
Bill Ophoff has a background in geography and biology, is a naturalist world traveler, and has been Hollyhock’s resident naturalist for 25 years. Hollyhock guests often rave about our naturalist excursions, and more often than not, they are talking about Bill and his quirky sense of humour. Bill landed on Cortes…
Learn more about Bill Ophoff