Join Our Team!
Want to join a movement towards a more just and sustainable future? Be a part of an inspired, talented, and driven team?
Hollyhock has been transforming North American society for over thirty-five years. From our humble beginnings in 1982 as a project of Greenpeace founders, and human potential movement leaders, Hollyhock has catalyzed connection, personal growth, and progressive social change. We run about 100 programs and conferences per year on our Cortes Island campus and in Vancouver, BC.
Most opportunities at our Cortes Island campus are seasonal, from April through October, with roles in garden, guest services, housekeeping, hosting, kitchen, maintenance, massage, program operations, and retail. We also have a year-round remote team.
You may also be interested in our Work Exchange Program
Position: Guest Service Manager
Reports to: Campus Director
Start Date: ASAP
Hours and Location: Full-time (32-40hr/week), Year-Round on Cortes Island
Wage: $25 / hour to start with benefits
Hollyhock creates, curates, and hosts inspiring, meaningful experiences that provide both the inner and outer skills for personal development and social transformation. Our vision is to achieve a future where people live in right relations with ourselves, each other, and the natural world; understanding that these are intricately connected. We host over 100 programs each year, immersing our staff in a culture of connection, honesty, trust, and authenticity.
Our oceanfront Cortes Island campus rests in the traditional territories of the KIahoose, Tla’amin, Homalco Nations; and as the current stewards of this land, we are committed to renewing our relationships with these First Nations peoples. Our campus boasts rustic accommodations, vegetarian buffet meals with local seafood, yoga, bodywork, a world-famous garden, hot tubs, and network of nature trails through towering cedar and douglas fir trees. Hollyhock staff receive discounts on all of our services and meals, and the opportunity to experience a complimentary Hollyhock program.
We believe that a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply. Please feel free to state any aspects of your identity that may contribute to diversity in our workforce in your cover letter, so we can prioritize your application.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Guest Service department is the support hub for our guests, presenters, staff and residents. Offering guidance from the initial reservation before they arrive and throughout their stay on campus. Hollyhock utilizes our online reservations system Retreat Guru for record keeping.
The Guest Service Manager provides supervision, encouragement, training and role modeling for our Guest Service, Registration and Housekeeping departments. You will be the department contact for the campus.
You will glide through a fast-paced environment, with connected communication and thorough follow up. You have a genuine enthusiasm towards our guests and have a positive impact on their experience at Hollyhock.
This position is a leadership role and actively participates in decision making, collaboration, and active communication with all Managers and Directors of Hollyhock.
- Enhance positive culture in Guest Services and throughout the Campus
- Lead guest resolution support
- Set departmental objectives, work schedules, budgets, policies, and procedures
- Recruit, interview, and train new Guest Service, Registration, and Housekeeping staff
- Facilitate group meetings and discussions
- Maintain good communication and working relationships with all departments
- Manager on duty when Campus Director is off island
- Registration by email, telephone, and in person
- Conduct guest check-in and check-out
- Provide info about the services available in the community and surrounding areas
- Monitor the appearance, standards, and performance of the Guest Service Team
- Maximize room occupancy ensuring rates are obtained
- Accountability for cleanliness and safety standards
- Allocation of all rooms to include special requests and any other requirements
- Assist with other departments, as necessary
- Previous experience in leadership and customer service
- Outstanding communication skills
- Working knowledge of computers and software applications including proficiency in Google Apps and Office Suite
- Ability to respond calmly in busy situations, effective conflict management, and decision-making skills
- Strong organizational, administrative, and time management skills
- Holds a valid drivers license
- Occupational first aid certification is an asset
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
- The successful candidate must be legally able to work in Canada and enjoy living in a remote setting
- In an open, public environment
- This work varies from sitting at a computer for long periods at time to standing at the front desk
- Scheduled for a varied work schedule including weekends, evenings and statutory holidays. Flexibility and adaptability to changing needs are essential
Please apply by sending your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open until it is filled. Please get your application in as soon as possible. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CLICK HERE to download the full posting
- Health Benefits (including medical, dental, counselling) and Wellness Days for year-round full-time staff
- Complimentary program (1 per year) for staff who regularly work at least 3 days/week
- Ocean-view hot tub soaks before or after your shifts
- Discounted standby bodywork sessions
- 15% discount on Hollyhock store purchases
- 30% discount on Hollyhock meals
- 30% discount on accommodations and meals for partners and children
Wages at Hollyhock
Click for more info on wage ranges across the organization.
Hollyhock strives to create a fair and respectful environment that protects and promotes human rights. Hollyhock believes that a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply.