This is the kind of salad that goes straight to your blood bank. It’s so iron and mineral rich that even the ocean gets jealous. While kale is all the rage right now, seaweed is just catching up. They’re sure to be BFFs.
Vegan, gluten free
1 cup loose dry arame (seaweed)
- 2 bunches kale, such as Lacinato, Red Russian or curly Winterbor, stems removed
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped chives or green onions (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a small bowl, cover the arame in tepid water and soak for 20 minutes
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Set aside in a sealed jar.
- Coarsely chop the kale.
- Steam the kale leaves for 1-2 minutes, just until tender and transfer immediately to ice water. This stops the cooking process and preserves their bright colour. Drain.
- Drain the arame and toss with kale leaves, vinaigrette and sesame seeds.
- Cut the avocado into ling slices and arrange on top immediately before serving.
This recipe is from the Hollyhock Cook, Heidi Lescanec. Photo credit: DM