We serve a couple thousand bellies each season at Hollyhock, and it isn’t always easy to satisfy all the diverse dietary needs. Our “side table” where guests with additional dietary restrictions can find options made just for them, is much more than just a “side”! Our creative cooks are always finding ways to nourish and delight every guest. Sofi Martinez, one of our First Cooks, came up with this creative dairy-free, egg-free, wheat-and-gluten-free recipe, which had everyone drooling this year.
One of Sofi’s favourite quotes is:
“There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it.” Martha Graham
We are pretty sure Sofi is a master at translating her unique life force into her food creations! We think you’ll agree. Enjoy!
Vegan Gluten-Free Bread
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons instant dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 4 cups of gluten-free organic flour of your choice (1/3 gluten-free all-purpose flour and 2/3 of any other choice – buckwheat, gluten-free oats, willet, fino, almond)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup fresh herbs
- 1/2 cup organic seeds
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup warm water
- Add 2 cups warm water, yeast, and sugar to a bowl and let the yeast activate and do its magic!
- In a separate bowl add the flour, xanthan gum, salt, herbs, seeds, and olive oil
- Add the yeast mixture to this bowl and mix with your hands. You want the dough to be wet, almost like a paste
- Let it rise for 30 minutes to one hour (until it rises at least 1/3 of its size)
- Add about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of warm water to the mixture so it has a paste type consistency again
- Put the mixture in two small 4″ size load pans – previously greased and floured the mould
- Rise them again for 30 minutes to 1 hour until they quarter or double the size
- Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes until they are gold
Serve and enjoy hot with vegan butter!
Photo credit: Darshan Alexander