Harmony Within: A Journey of Songwriting and Reconnection
With Leah Abramson and Samantha Parton
September 27 - October 2, 2024
Writing can be a powerful tool of self-expression and intimacy with one’s deepest thoughts and feelings. The “Harmony Within” workshop explores songwriting as a medium, a practice, and a journey through which we can reconnect with our creative source, our vulnerability, and our inner wisdom, harnessing the healing power of music to illuminate, transform, and transcend what lies within. Exploring the relationship between lyrics, music, and form, participants will learn to effectively articulate the hidden language of the heart and soul through the magic and craft of songwriting.
“The workshop helped me place more importance on my writing and making sure I give it time and the energy I should. I learned tools to bring out my creativity, so I don’t just wait for it to hit me – I can consciously work at it so I can write more often.” – Past participant
With beautiful Cortes Island as our backdrop, participants will hone their craft while seeking inspiration in the environment and within themselves. Group activities such as soundwalks, breathwork, improvisation, free writes, and prompts are designed to inspire reflection, help us break through creative blocks, and uncover the authentic, intuitive creative voice. Each day will include group and solo writing time, and all participants will have access to one-on-one tutoring sessions with Sam and Leah. Evening jam sessions will give participants the opportunity to share their new songs in an intimate, supportive setting, helping foster creative community while having fun. Open to all levels of experience, including beginners.
- Learn how melody, lyrics, chords, and form work together to create effective, memorable songs.
- Learn to listen for your own unique lyric voice and articulate your ideas and observations in a way that feels authentic, inspired and original.
- Learn techniques to help you push through writer’s block, self-doubt, and other limiting patterns in order to dig deeper and access your creativity even when you feel stuck.
- Group activities such as soundwalks, breathwork, improvisation, free writes, and prompts
- Each day will include co-writing and solo writing time, and all participants will have access to one-on-one mentoring sessions with Sam and Leah.
- Evening jam sessions
A detailed schedule will be available at least 2 weeks in advance of the program. View sample schedule here.
Leah Abramson is a singer, songwriter, and composer whose work explores vocal harmonies, soundscapes, and the intersection of humanity and the environment. Leah has released four albums of original music and has contributed to dozens of others as a songwriter and vocalist. After years spent touring and recording internationally as…
Learn more about Leah Abramson
Samantha Parton is a Vancouver native, best known as a founding member of acclaimed Canadian folk group The Be Good Tanyas. A singer-songwriter, producer, and multi-instrumentalist, Parton formed the group in the late 1990s with Jolie Holland, Trish Klein, and Frazey Ford. Her songs have appeared in shows such as…
Learn more about Samantha Parton