Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT): 5-Day Professional Training
With Mark Lau, PhD and Andrea Grabovac, MD
October 7 - 12, 2019
Take your next step on the transformative journey of becoming a Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) teacher. Receive a thorough grounding in the 8-session group MBCT program designed to prevent depressive relapse. Learn how to bridge the gap between the MBCT treatment manual and the moment-to-moment process of teaching therapeutic mindfulness skills in a group setting.
This intensive 5-day interactive training is a mix of didactic, experiential, and small group learning. During the program, you will:
- experience the MBCT program as a participant.
- role-play client-practitioner encounters in a simulated MBCT classroom.
- receive hands-on experience delivering the core aspects of MBCT, including leading meditation and guiding inquiry.
- be supported to cultivate your own meditation practice and work with what arises in your own practice to build a foundation from which to teach MBCT that goes beyond scripts or techniques.
This course is one of the prerequisites for UCSD MBCT Teacher Qualification/Certification. The daily schedule is rigorous, with sessions scheduled from 7:15am – 9:00pm, with one to two hour meal breaks. Time to participate in extracurricular activities is very limited.
By the conclusion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the core teaching elements of the MBCT program
- Define the role of sustained meditative practice in facilitating emotion regulation and defusing negative thought patterns
- Guide group participants through the core mindfulness practices utilized in MBCT.
- Discuss the relevance and importance of meditation practice and self-inquiry for the facilitator of MBCT and how this informs the integration of awareness practices within a psychotherapy frame
- Describe the origins and rationale behind MBCT
Through personal meditation practice, a simulated MBCT classroom, and role-plays of client-practitioner encounters, this highly interactive professional training aims to provide the clinician with the key teaching aspects of the MBCT program.
By application only:
Participation in this program requires pre-approval. To be accepted, participants must have the following:
- Participants must be health care professionals.
- An advanced degree in mental health-related field
- Previous experience of meditation
- A personal commitment to establishing a daily meditation practice
- Familiarity with cognitive behavioral therapy techniques
- Professional experience in working with depression
- Familiarity with facilitating group process
Dr. Mark Lau & Dr. Andrea Grabovac will also be offering Fostering Resilience for Health Professionals on May 31 – June 5, 2019.
Mark A. Lau, PhD, R Psych, who worked with Zindel Segal for 11 years, has 25 years experience as an internationally respected MBCT teacher, trainer and researcher. Mark is an MBCT mentor with the UCSD Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute, and is one of a handful of MBCT trainers who provide the 5-day MBCT Professional Training in North America. His academic work focuses on the mechanisms underlying MBCT’s effectiveness and evaluating effective methods of disseminating MBCT. vancouvercbt.ca
Learn more about Mark Lau, PhD
Andrea Grabovac, MD, FRCPC, is a clinical psychiatrist at Vancouver Hospital. She has taught and supervised MBCT for 13 years. She is a mentor with the UCSD Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute and Center For Mindfulness Studies in Toronto and teaches 5-day MBCT Professional Trainings in North America. Her academic work focuses on the development of clinician competency in delivering mindfulness-based interventions. As a co-founder of the North American Chapter of the MiCBT Institute, she trains mental health clinicians in implementing MiCBT both for themselves and with clients. Together with Dr. Mark Lau, she facilitates Fostering Resiliency retreats for health care professionals and their partners.…
Learn more about Andrea Grabovac, MD