Move without Pain
August 20 - 24, 2018
If you have “tried everything” to relieve your back, neck, shoulder, or hip pain for the long term and have only experienced short term relief (or none at all), then this course is for you! Eliminating muscle pain, stiffness, and the feeling of ‘getting old” starts with the brain. Trauma, stress, and postural compensations change the way the brain senses and moves us, and how we experience ourselves on a physical and emotional level.
Essential Somatics teaches you to restore fluid, effortless, and joyful movement – on your own, wherever you are and whenever you need it. Come and learn to be more present and comfortable in your body and in your life.
An all too common myth is that limited movement, disability, and pain is the inevitable result of aging. In reality, it is the way in which we unconsciously adapt to the stresses of our lives – the accidents, injuries, surgeries, and emotional and psychological stresses – that determines whether we become “creaky and old” or maintain our physical freedom, self-awareness, and independence. The choice is yours. To learn to maintain freedom of movement requires a new perspective on movement, ourselves, our habits, the brain, and how it controls us from the inside out.
Through lectures, movement sessions, and interactive participation learn:
- The root cause of most chronic muscle pain (Sensory Motor Amnesia) and how to reverse it
- How to retain voluntary muscle function and fluid movement with gentle, safe somatic movement
- How trauma, daily movement habits, and reflexive responses to stress disconnect us from our bodies and contribute to common pain conditions and limited movement. such as low back pain, neck, shoulder, hip and joint pain, anxiety, headaches, and limited movement
- How our thoughts, emotions, and physical stresses create either restriction and pain, or freedom and ease in the body
- How all humans respond reflexively to stress within three full body reflex patterns
- How to lengthen muscles and reset muscle function without stretching
- A basic routine of easy, safe, and profoundly effective Somatic Movements that, when practiced daily, restore muscle control and self-awareness, eliminate chronic muscle pain, and keep you moving freely in your chosen activity for the rest of your life.
Martha Peterson is a Certified Hanna Somatic Educator, movement expert, and the author of Move Without Pain. She is a graduate of Somatic Systems Institute and holds a BA in Dance Education. Martha presents Essential Somatics trainings, retreats, and seminars in the US, Canada, Europe, Asia, and Australia, and has a private clinical practice in Denver, Colorado. She teaches clients with back, neck, hip and shoulder pain, scoliosis, TMJ, carpal tunnel, sports injuries, and more to restore freedom of movement so they can live the lives they envision.
Martha’s expertise comes from over 30 years of working in the field of dance, bodywork, and somatic education. As a former professional dancer who suffered chronic hip and knee pain due to injuries, Martha understands the frustration and struggle many people experience trying to discern between the myriad different methods that claim to relieve or “fix” chronic pain. This is how she discovered Hanna Somatic Education, the only method that taught her to reverse her pain and postural imbalances, regain physical control, and create a life of movement, choice, and joy.