Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
October 7 - 12, 2019
Dr. Lau and Dr. Grabovac will return to Hollyhock on October 7 – 12, 2019!
Contact us to pre-register and get a 10% early bird discount: 1-800-933-6339
Take your next step on the transformative journey of becoming a Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) teacher. Receive a thorough grounding in the 8-session group MBCT program designed to prevent depressive relapse. Learn how to bridge the gap between the MBCT treatment manual and the moment-to-moment process of teaching therapeutic mindfulness skills in a group setting.
This intensive 5-day interactive training is a mix of didactic, experiential, and small group learning. During the program, you will:
- experience the MBCT program as a participant.
- role-play client-practitioner encounters in a simulated MBCT classroom.
- receive hands-on experience delivering the core aspects of MBCT, including leading meditation and guiding inquiry.
- be supported to cultivate your own meditation practice and work with what arises in your own practice to build a foundation from which to teach MBCT that goes beyond scripts or techniques.
This course is one of the prerequisites for UCSD MBCT Teacher Qualification/Certification. The daily schedule is rigorous, with sessions scheduled from 7:15am – 9:00pm, with one to two hour meal breaks. Time to participate in extracurricular activities is very limited.
By the conclusion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the core teaching elements of the MBCT program
- Define the role of sustained meditative practice in facilitating emotion regulation and defusing negative thought patterns
- Guide group participants through the core mindfulness practices utilized in MBCT.
- Discuss the relevance and importance of meditation practice and self-inquiry for the facilitator of MBCT and how this informs the integration of awareness practices within a psychotherapy frame
- Describe the origins and rationale behind MBCT
Through personal meditation practice, a simulated MBCT classroom, and role-plays of client-practitioner encounters, this highly interactive professional training aims to provide the clinician with the key teaching aspects of the MBCT program.
By application only. See details below.
Drs. Lau and Grabovac, MBCT mentors with the UCSD Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute, are two of a handful of MBCT trainers who provide the 5-day MBCT Professional Training in North America. They also offer a 5-day MBCT Meditation Retreat for physicians and other health professionals at Hollyhock.
Mark A. Lau, PhD, R Psych, who worked with Zindel Segal for 11 years, has 22 years experience as an internationally respected MBCT teacher, trainer and researcher. His academic work focuses on the mechanisms underlying MBCT’s effectiveness and evaluating effective methods of disseminating MBCT. vancouvercbt.ca
Andrea Grabovac, MD, FRCPC, psychiatrist, has taught and supervised MBCT for 9 years. Her academic work focuses on mechanisms of mindfulness and the development of clinician competency in teaching mindfulness-based interventions. She is a co-founder of the North American Chapter of the MiCBT Institute. drgrabovac.com
Drs. Lau and Grabovac are also presenting Fostering Resilience: A MBCT Retreat for Health Professionals at Hollyhock May 31 – June 5, 2019.
Participation in this program requires pre-approval.
PREREQUISITES: To be accepted, participants must have the following:
- Participants must be health care professionals.
- An advanced degree in mental health-related field
- Previous experience of meditation
- A personal commitment to establishing a daily meditation practice
- Familiarity with cognitive behavioral therapy techniques
- Professional experience in working with depression
- Familiarity with facilitating group process
To apply, please fill out the application form found here.