Equity Learning Lab: A Deliberate Practice & Growth Space for White Folks
With Stina Brown
June 21 - 25, 2020
Join an experimental cohort of white leaders, activists, facilitators, hosts, conveners etc. to explore a new standard of equity practices and anti-racist action.
This is your invitation to take part in an intentional community of practice (CoP). The longer term vision is to create spaces in which members can deepen their awareness and practice, commitment and courage – not just in 3 days, but over time. By entering a course of study with before and after structure in addition to the in-person retreat, participants are encouraged to build longer deeper relationships with the learning and enjoy embedded accountability: creating the conditions for transformation – in the individual, the community, and ultimately the systems we are a part of. In this intentional growth and learning space there is room to test and challenge ourselves, to study and reflect, and to integrate what we discover.
Does this feel like the right time for you to join the conversation? We will “start where we are” in learning and practice for those ready to:
- Be proactive in our learning and growth in this area – holding ourselves to a higher standard than the status quo – recognizing the status quo keeps us all from liberation and holds systems of racism, oppression, and white supremacy in place
- Draw on the best/latest research in approaches to working with our own habits, conscious and unconscious biases and internalized oppression, colonized mindset, racism etc.
- Show up as a caring and courageous witness in our own learning and creating spaces to be real, be uncomfortable, learn and grow together in a “calling-in” not “calling-out” culture of our making
- See with new eyes how our lives have been unequally benefited by our colour/whiteness; understand our privilege and the systems of oppression we are a part of
- Integrate new ways of being, with this growth – in our bodies, evolving identities, and with empathy toward ourselves and others
- Determine our own anti-racism plans of action to (begin to) deconstruct the white supremacy culture we are benefitting from – everyone will leave with an action plan of their own making (how you will apply this learning to your life/work)
- Step up as peer coaches and continue the learning with small group calls/check-ins after the training
- To build the community/field of white folks who are intentionally literate, responsible and proactive in their work and personal life in systems-change specifically focused on creating new equitable realities for our whole community
This is not an advanced training in equity. This is an introductory program designed to deepen the participants’ relationship with learning about themselves and how to create a more equitable world through moving from non-racist to anti-racist in our work and our relationships. For more advanced trainings, please check out Shakil Choudhury and Anima Leadership’s trainings in Toronto, Inner Activist’s trainings in the Lower Mainland, and Rev. angel Kyodo williams’ and Suzanne Hawkes’ Radical Dharma Camp this summer at Hollyhock.
This course is also not group therapy, a place for woke-ness competition, or a congregation of self-congratulation. This is a learning lab. In labs, we experiment – we learn, test, gain new understanding, and take certain precautions to make sure experiments don’t harm anyone. We design the space to approach the learning with reverence, patience, and courage.
- Mindfulness practices and silent mornings
- Somatic practices (mind-body) integrated into a learning, trauma-informed approach
- Writing as a tool of practice (journaling, reflection, reading aloud)
- Appreciative Inquiry as a tool for discovery and storytelling
- Art-based and expression-based activities (drawing, etc.)
- History/frameworks and systems thinking (defining language, context-setting, content introductions)
- Becoming familiar with resources currently available for further study
- Celebratory elements to blow off steam, balancing the density of the work
You will leave with:
- Familiarity with equity terminology/concepts, the Canadian context of this work and (some of the many) resources currently available
- Self-knowledge and self-awareness development and practices to strengthen participants’ ability to recognize and work on conscious and unconscious bias
- An anti-racism action plan – participants will leave with a course of action for them to take in the coming year, with a few video calls scheduled for the whole group, hosted by Stina after the program
- Friendships – this is a program designed to support people in confronting their privilege, their place in a system of white supremacy, and to begin to see their role and their “white community”/broader context in a new way – with friendship support
In order to register there is an application process. Once registered, you will be asked to respond to a brief survey. There will also be several hours of pre-reading prior to your arrival on Cortes Island. Stina will be reaching out to each participant with a phone or video call to hear about your priorities and how this program can support your learning.
Application Coming Soon