Fireworks Factory: Camp David for Marketers
With Darren Barefoot & Julie Szabo
September 29 - October 3, 2019
Registration by application. Apply here.
Fireworks Factory is unlike any marketing and communications conference you’ve been to before. It’s an intimate, four-night retreat where big ideas like trend spotting, neuromarketing, and campaign ideation will change the way you think about marketing and impact the way your organization communicates with the world. It’s also where you’ll meet thought partners, co-conspirators, and even friends.
“This was a rare bird in my typical conference year: a small, intimate gathering where every speaker was keynote-calibre, the discussions were deep and the takeaways were truly thought-changing.” Laura Authier, Director of Marketing, University of Fraser Valley
You should come to Fireworks Factory if:
- You’re a senior-level marketing or communications professional who wants to have bold conversations about big ideas and strategy.
- You’re a decision-maker for your organization (or, as a consultant, you help clients make important strategy decision).
- You’re excited to talk about big ideas, not WordPress plugins, or how to optimize click throughs or Instagram ads.
- You’re not evil, nor is the organization you work for.
Each year we welcome a mix of communicators from companies, non-profits, agencies and institutions. We find this mix generates a certain conversational frisson and important cross-industry learning.
“This was the first non-BS marketing conference I’ve ever gone to. Talk about intimate and interactive. Egos (if they existed) and titles were parked at the door and everyone is looking to share and learn from one another. Can’t wait until next year!” Kenny Grant, Full Stack
Speaker Sneak Peek
Check out the top-notch speaker line-up, with more to come:
- CanadaLand’s Jesse Brown will help communicators make sense of today’s fractured and flummoxing media landscape.
- Psychologist, neuroscientist and marketer Diana Lucaci will share neuromarketing strategies you can adapt for your work.
- We’ll be treated to a private concert by JUNO-nominated singer and songwriter Khari Wendell McClelland. Plus, he’ll teach us how to be better facilitators, leaders and people.
An unorthodox learning experience. Fireworks Factory speakers aren’t the usual suspects and you won’t find them on the regular Pacific Northwest circuit. Compelling speakers combine with collaborative sessions, where attendees present case studies and seek feedback on ongoing projects. Also, we hate panels, so there won’t be any! We’re in the process of recruiting this year’s speakers. Speakers at past Firework Factories include the CBC’s Nora Young, HootSuite’s Cameron Uganec and Charity Water’s Paull Young.
A burgeoning trust network. We’re all in this working world together. Our professional life is buoyed and eased by a trusted network of peers who can offer advice, support, and opportunity. Fireworks Factory offers the chance to build these connections with fellow professionals over four intimate days at the Hollyhock.
A break from the city and into the woods. We’ve found that getting away from normal routines allows us to focus on the conference and our fellow attendees. The conference gives attendees a chance to recharge in nature and get the brain space needed to think up new ideas and challenge the status quo.
Darren Barefoot and Julie Szabo are marketing strategists with a deep understanding of technology and digital culture. They have experience deploying complex, innovative campaigns that connect and inspire people to improve their world. Darren and Julie have talked about marketing innovation on the CBC, BBC, Wired and the Wall Street Journal. They’re authors of Friends with Benefits: A Social Media Marketing Handbook and The Noble Arsonist, Stoking Fires & Igniting Movements for NGOs and Companies that Care. Julie and Darren are also event experts. Since running a tiny theatre company in 1998, they’ve planned for events from 15 to 50,000…
Learn more about Darren Barefoot & Julie Szabo